Supreme Academic council
The Supreme Academic Council is the highest academic organ of the Institute. Its responsibilities include planning the institute’s academic development, approving academic syllabi, specifying entry and graduation requirements, supervising the level of instruction and examination, appointing the Institutional Academic Promotions Committee, and any other academic matters that the Council deems appropriate.
The Supreme Academic Council meets at least three times a year, nominates the permanent and ad hoc committees as needed. In its first meeting in 17\12\2010 the council nominated the promotions committee and its head, Prof. David Degani from the Technion, the technological Institute of Israel in Haifa, the ad hoc committee chaired by Prof. Elana Shohamy from Tel-Aviv university, to deal with the question of the
teaching language (Arabic, Hebrew and English) in the Institute and present its recommendations.
The Council consists of 24 members, 11 of them are full professors, 7 are associate professors, from the various universities in Israel, and an observer representing the students of the institute. There are 12 Jewish members and 12 Arab members, from them are 7 females.
Members of the Supreme Academic Council:
1. Prof. George J. Kanazi, (Prof. Emeritus from the university of Haifa, Arabic language and literature)
President of the Institute and chairman of the Supreme Academic Council.
2. Prof. Jacob Katriel, (Prof. Emeritus from the Technion, was the chairman of the Supreme Academic Council from 2010 to 2013).
3. Prof. Nadir Bshouty, Computer science, the Technion.
4. Prof. David Degani, Mechanical engineering, the Technion.
5. Prof. Amiram Goldblum, Drug design, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
6. Prof. Muhammad Haj Yehya, school of social work, the Hebrew University.
7. Prof. Yehuda Ne'man, Cinema, Tel-Aviv University.
8. Prof. Dana Ron, Electrical engineering, (computer science), Tel-Aviv University.
9. Prof. Elana Shohamy, Department of Education, (language teaching), Tel-Aviv University.
10. Prof. Edriss Titi, Computer science and applied mathmatics, The Weismann Institute for science.
11. Prof. Yehuda Asraf, Biology, the Technion
12. Prof, Khawla Abu Bakr, Department of psychology, Emek Yezereel College.
13. Prof. Daphna Karmeli, Nursing, University of Haifa.
14. Prof Zohar Evyatar, Department of psychology, University of Haifa.
15. Prof. Avner Geladi, Department of Middle East studies, University of Haifa.
16. Prof. Fuad Iraqi, School of medicine, Tel-Aviv University.
17. Prof. Michael Karayanni, Faculty of Law, the Hebrew university, Jerusalem.
18. Prof. Riyad Aghbariya, School of pharmacy, Ben Gurion university, the Negev.
Members of the council ex officio:
19. Dr. Raed Mualem, Biology, vice president.
20. Dr. Suhair Bsharat, medical science, Dean of students.
21. Dr. Elias Abu Shkara, Chairman of the chemistry department.
22. Dr. Avivit Agam-Dali, Chairperson of the communication department.
23. Dr. Deeb Akawi, Chairman of the general studies.
24. Representative of the students (to be elected).